Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

What is an eating disorder?

You might think that I know all about anorexia because I've been struggling with it for a whole year. But to be perfectly honest I didn't even knew the word anorexic on the first day at the hospital. I didn't know such a thing like that even existed. If you came up to me on my first day at the hospital and said to me, "You're suffering from anorexia." I would've said, "Okay,...what's that?" and then you would've said, "Don't you know?" then I would say, "Know what?" with blank stare too.
The point is back then I was plain out clueless of the situation I was in even though it was me who put myself in it! Even on the third day I still had no idea. My entire stay at the hospital (two weeks) the word anorexia never came up. Maybe it did when the doctors were talking to my parents behind my back. I'm not so sure. 
I don't know when exactly it hit me that I had anorexia. I think I was in Miami Children's hospital for a check up so they could check my weight this was somewhere in 2010 after February or something. Anyway I saw this little pamphlet with a title called Eating Disorders. I was bored and bored so I decided to read it. The pamphlet said there were two kinds of eating disorders (which is true) there's Bulimia Nervosa which means that a person will over eat at one point then feel terribly guilty then does whatever it takes to get rid of all the calories they just consumed. They might try starving themselves, vomiting, take laxatives or do excessive exercise. Let me just say it plain out: Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by frequent episodes of binge eating, followed by frantic efforts to avoid gaining weight. 
Anorexia is when a person intentionally tries to lose weight by restricting certain foods from their diet. Excessive exercise and sometimes it is compulsive. They might also take diet pills. Then when they lose weight they fear of gaining weight and become obsessed with losing more weight or trying to stay thin. 
What do doctors think anorexia is?
They say it's a disease. (ooh how scary.) 
First of all what's a disease? A disease to put it in the simplest of terms it's something that hinders your body. Like the common flu. And you cure a disease by either getting rest or by taking a prescription etc. 
However taking a prescription won't cure an eating disorder.
The way I see it anorexia (or any eating disorder) is a state of mind. I don't see my anorexia as a disease not at all. It's all part of God's plan to bring him glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment